home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Monday, January 20, 2014

Vintage Hair for the New Year

As I get older, I am becoming ever more infatuated with the easy side of vintage styling. After all, my chief inspirations- Grace Kelly and Ginger Rogers, have always been gals who boasted soft, blowsy,and casual waves in their day to day life. This is probably typical of most vintage enthusiasts today and I'm presently clinging to that aesthetic myself, especially faced with the onslaught of tasks and duties that crowd my 'to-do' list each morning.

So I thought I'd use this post to showcase some of my favorite easy hairstyles in my 'vintage hair inspiration' folder, the ones I plan to use often in this coming year for all occasions.

The casual vintage look always starts, first and foremost, with the cut. A good quality layered cut is a 'must' to accomplish that breezy look in some of these photos, but still look 'put together'. When you are doing elaborate rolls or up-do's every day, it's easy to hide a less-than-perfect haircut. But when you're doing a basic wet set at night and relying on a simple brush-out to carry you through the day, the manner in which your hair is tapered and snipped can make or break the effect. So if you are like me and must do your own color at home in order to afford a talented and reputable stylist, then let it be.

Now on to the hair goodness!

1. The Signature Grace:
It's no wonder that this would come first, especially since my 'journey to grace' is nearly complete. I am still not quite this length yet. I realized after I got to the salon that there were still a few things I wanted to do before I went to this shoulder brushing length. I'm a few inches past my shoulders right now. But what I love about this style is how it can be smoothed for a more formal evening look and kept breezy and loose for day. Add a flower to freshen it up even more.



Mini Tutorial:
To achieve this style, use foam rollers or large pin curls aimed away from the face on all sides. Allow to dry and brush thoroughly.

2.The Rolled Partial Up-do:
So this is victory rolls-my style. As most of you know, I adore rolled hair styles but the modern voluminous ones don't really flatter me much. My favorite looks with rolls tend to be partial up do's that softly blend rolls and waves. This look is a variation on one of my favorite styles, which I do often. Mine usually involves one assymetrical roll with a side comb but the aesthetic is very similar.

Mini Tutorial:
Roll hair using your desired method. Separate top and sides into three sections and use combs and bobby pins to secure dry pin curls as you wish. No teasing necessary unless you want extra volume. Spray each section with a good hair spray before rolling to keep the rolls as clean as possible.

3.Center Parted Curls:

Center parted curls are aways retro and glamorous. With loose waves and longer darker hair, the look is really 'vampira'-esque. With a short bob like Ginger's, the look is still coquettish but also very wearable and chic. For a casual daytime look on center parted hair, pull the hair back into side combs and secure so that the front sections are evenly placed on both sides of the part. This works for naturally curly hair or hair that has been set into waves.

Styling Suggestion: This was a popular look with Hawaiian dresses. Symmetrical realistic-looking flowers placed above each ear immediately lend a Dorothy Lamour quality to this style

4.The 60's-era Faux Ponytail:
Of all the fake hair options available today, nothing is quite as simple as the faux ponytail. The look is timeless and by turns, elegant and playful. Just stick your hair into a simple bun, clip in the ponytail, and voila! Instant length and volume!

5.The Easy Updo:
There are scads of complex rolled up do's online and in vintage photos of the 30's through the 50's. But more often than not they are a headache and don't really work into most busy routines. Therefore, netted styles like the one worn below by Gene Tierney:




...or a simple chignon coupled with a faux braided crown around the head:



...can be life savers! The faux braid is great for evening-wear. For a less elaborate similar look in summer time, wear your own hair in peasant braids!

Mini Tutorials:
For the net: Using an invisible net from your local beauty supply store, part previously styled hair on the side, using pomade to smooth it down. Tease the hair below the ear and place into the net. Pin in place and use flowers to add some embellishment.

For the peasant braids: Part hair down the center, braid in two tails, aiming upward. Pin in place in a crown , making sure to secure the loose ends under the braided sections.

These are some of my favorites. I hope you all enjoy them as well.
xoxo,
Ashley



6 comments:

In the Ruins of Berlin said...

the peasant braids are my everyday favorite for years -so quick and special...xxx

Lavender and Twill said...

As I live in Australia and haven't the access to a proper retro salon that can do my cut - do you have any tips for getting a correct middy-style cut from a modern hair dresser? I have taken in the middy cut guide. and as I have curly hair can get away with it most of the time, but easy it is not.

I really wish that there was a modern guide to a middy hair cut that modern salon hair dressers without retro background could read and understand! Any hints would be much appreciated, thank you! ♡

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

These are all great ideas. I love the grace kelly one especially. Her name was perfect for her because she was so elegant and classy.

I currently have a very short pixie cut with an audrey-esque parted fringe and am thinking about growing it out, because I used to love pin-curling my hair and i miss it. I will keep the fringe though, because I've been watching your videos and i think i can make the fringe work. I'm thinking I might go for a leslie caron 'American in Paris' crop, but thinned out at the sides and short at the bottom. we'll see...

jewlover2 said...

Bonita, my stylist does not specialize in vintage styles but she does UNDERSTAND them. This is key. Your stylist does not need to follow the middy diagram or even know what it is. They just need to know that you need tapered (not blunt cut) layers allover the head, so that the back of your hair falls in a u shape. Show pictures of gals in the 40's (or heck, even Ginger Grant from Gilligan's Island had a u-shaped cut) so she understands that you intend to set your hair every day and that you want a cut that will hold up to that. :) Any reputable stylist (and that's important...REPUTABLE) can do it. Ask around. Generally, the acclaimed ones are pricey but for the most part, worth it. :)

Lavender and Twill said...

Thank you for that advice, I have tried to explain it, but I'm not sure I've got it across. I will try again though.

xox,
bonita

Unknown said...

I love your tutorials. So feminine, flattering and authentic!
Although I am a brunette I would like to try eva marie saint's look from exodus. I like her elegant simplicity and graceful presence.

Could you give me some hints on her hair?

Thank you!

Post a Comment